What are the Most Common Spinal Cord Injuries due to Accidents?
Common Accidents that Cause Spinal Cord Injuries
Motor Vehicle Accidents – Auto and Motorcycle Accidents are the leading cause of spinal injuries and account for almost half of spinal cord injuries each year.
Slip and Falls– Slip and falls due to another’s negligence can cause tearing and spinal cord damage leading to paralysis.
Sports Injuries – Sports with a high risk of spinal injuries are football, ice hockey, wrestling, diving, skiing, rugby and cheerleading and more.
Recreation Injuries –Accidents while jet-skiing, rollerblading and surfing can cause major spinal cord injuries.
Most Common Spinal Cord Accident Injuries:
- Damage to the vertebrae including fractures, dislocations. crushes and compresses
- Damage to ligaments
- Damage to Disks or the spinal column core cord
- Internal bleeding
- Fluid accumulations
- Paraplegia or quadriplegia
Signs of a spinal cord injuries after a traumatic accident:
- Extreme back pain or high levels of pressure in your back, neck or head
- Weakness, lack of coordination or paralysis to any part of your body
- Numbness, tingling or loss of sensation in your feet, toes, fingers or hands
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Difficulty with walking or balance
- Impaired breathing
- Odd position or twists in your neck or back
When Should you See a doctor?
You should seek immediate attention and evaluation for any spinal injury after an accident. Assume victims of a traumatic accident have a spinal cord injury and treat them like so:
- Do not move the injured person unless it is life threatening
- Call 911 – let the medical professionals do their job
- Keep the victim still
- Hold the head and neck to prevent them from moving
- Attend to other first aid needs
Not all spinal injuries are immediately obvious like numbness or paralysis that can gradually increase. So, see a doctor right away.
When to call an Irvine Spinal Cord Injury Attorney?
After seeking medical attention, call the Irvine spinal cord injury attorneys at Brockmeier Law Group for experienced legal representation. Spinal cord injuries can inflict permanent and irreparable damage and affect your way of life. We will fight for your rights and your way of life.
We are in it for the long haul and ensure you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.